St. Mary's Church
Lace Market
High Pavement
Nottingham NG1 1HN

Admission:
£15.00 - General

Book Now

The Nottingham Chamber Music Festival presents the Bach Goldberg Variations performed by the Le Page Ensemble at St Mary’s Church. The Bach Goldberg Variations were first published in 1741 and written originally for harpsichord by J.S. Bach.

This famous work was later transcribed for string trio by Dmitri Sitkovetsky in 1985 to celebrate the 300th anniversary of Bach’s birth. We invite listeners to join us in the dramatic space of St Mary’s in the Lace Market, Nottingham’s oldest structure still in use today. The Le Page Ensemble bring their warmth and spirit to the music, for an unforgettable experience.

About Dave Le Page, violinist

David Le Page’s violin playing has a natural, warm tone and an instinctive, improvisatory style. He appears regularly as a soloist, chamber musician and orchestral leader and has formed his own groups, the Le Page Ensemble, The Harborough Collective, Subway Piranhas and Mysterious Barricades. He is leader of the Stratford-Upon-Avon based Orchestra of the Swan.

He has regular duo partnerships with pianists Viv McLean and David Gordon. With Gordon, who is also a jazz pianist, composer and harpsichordist, he created Blurred Lines, an ongoing project which aims to transform the conventional recital into something unexpected and intriguing. He plays on a violin made in 1874 by Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume. The Le Page Ensemble is David Le Page (violin), Catherine Leech (viola) and Clare O’Connell (cello).

About St Mary’s in the Lace Market

St. Mary’s Church is the oldest religious institution in Nottingham, located in the heart of the historic Lace Market district. It is the largest mediaeval structure in Nottingham, with original building works dating from 1377 to 1475. The church contains many artefacts, including Nottingham’s oldest door from the 14th century. Sculptures of a lion and a unicorn dated c.1705 greet visitors at the West entrance of the church. Legend has it that Robin Hood came to the original site of St. Mary’s to pray.